[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 488: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 488: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4762: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3897)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4764: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3897)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4765: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3897)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4766: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3897)
RTP Discussions • View topic - Qs on the details

Qs on the details

Discussion Area for the Play - "Resurrection"

Qs on the details

Postby Mind Unraveled » Fri May 19, 2006 9:53 pm

love the play but i have a few questions

How would people know if yellowstone was about to blow? I know that we can measure movement in volcanos now, and if it get servire enough then people can have a few days or hours to evacuate. However, in the play you make it seem like people had time to get new houses or plan their future out. Is this some new or soon to exist technology or is it just your imagination?

Also do you happen to have any predictions on the ice age? Some scientists say the extreme change it could happen, start to finish, in ten years. Most say 50 to 100 years is more probable.

I think it is also possible that it could be simply another mini-ice age like what was suffered during the middle ages. It helped start the plague and increase the power and corruption within the church. We've been warming up from it sense the 13th century and sense I believe most, if not all things behave in waves, it wouldn't suprise me if we only dropped 3 or 4 degrees. I know it doesn't sound that bad, but lets remember the middle ages.

cold!

wet!!

famine!!!

plague!!!!

CHURCH!!!!!
Is God willing to prevent evil, but not able? Then he is not omnipotent.
Is he able, but not willing? Then he is malevolent.
Is he both able and willing? Then whence cometh evil?
Is he neither able nor willing? Then why call him God? -epicurus
Mind Unraveled

Re: Qs on the details

Postby HarryStottle » Sun May 21, 2006 1:49 am

HarryStottle
Site Admin

on the details

Postby intelegant » Tue May 23, 2006 1:12 am

intelegant

Postby HarryStottle » Tue May 23, 2006 6:04 pm

HarryStottle
Site Admin

Re: on the details

Postby intelegant » Tue May 23, 2006 9:17 pm

intelegant

Re: on the details

Postby HarryStottle » Tue May 23, 2006 11:29 pm

HarryStottle
Site Admin

Re: feasibility

Postby intelegant » Wed May 24, 2006 12:54 am

intelegant

Postby Mind Unraveled » Sat May 27, 2006 8:40 pm

heres a link on ice ages

there is a graph that says the earth was actually warmer in the middle ages. hmmm either this is wrong or the discovery channel program was wrong.

heres another Ice age thing but this is more scary.
i find it hard to believe that no one hears about all of these signs. sounds fishy.

Mind Unraveled

Postby HarryStottle » Sun May 28, 2006 12:47 am

Global Warming is an interesting example of how intelligent use of the internet can help inform your opinions.

Lets assume we have no prejudices one way or the other and we genuinely don't know which arguments to believe. How can Google help us zero in on the truth?

In the case of the Glaciers there are two opposing hypotheses, represented by the Google search terms:

1)

and

2)

The first thing you'll notice when you click on them is that a little over 500 sites contain the "Growing" term, as opposed to 12,000 (as of today) who talk about Shrinking. This is a pretty good pointer to the prevailing consensus but not good enough, on its own, to prove anything.

Now look in each results set for names you can trust - or at least the ones you've heard of before and have some idea about their track record and reliability.

What you quickly find in the "Growing" set is that all the names you can trust DO contain the search term but generally only as part of the sentence:

"SOME glaciers are growing but most are shrinking" or something similar.

Conversely, in the "Shrinking" set, we do not see the obverse. People are not arguing that SOME glaciers are shrinking but most are growing.

This is a fairly strong clue to the balance of informed opinion.

Now pick your most trustworthy sites and read them in detail.

Pick out some key claims and see if you can find anyone anywhere refuting those claims with similar or better quality of evidence.

When you've done all that, tell me if you still doubt that the glaciers are shrinking and why.
HarryStottle
Site Admin

Postby Mind Unraveled » Sun May 28, 2006 2:39 am

Mind Unraveled

Postby HarryStottle » Sun May 28, 2006 9:42 pm

HarryStottle
Site Admin

growing

Postby intelegant » Sun May 28, 2006 10:16 pm

intelegant

Postby Mind Unraveled » Sun May 28, 2006 11:05 pm

It's true that the earths climate has always been changing, but people are saying that it is changing fast then we have seem in the past 1000 years or more. I found this video of Al Gore doing is little presentation thingy he's got going an let me tell you he is cereal guys! With the graphs he shows people I think hes trying to tell us the apocalypse is coming. I don't know about that but I do agree we have to do something because this doesn't look natural.

Now i would be first person to tell you that I don't like Gore at all and I'm not sure if I trust all the stuff that comes out of a ex-vice president's mouth, but I think it's fair to say that the earth is warming up. There is people that say we need to do something and then a group that says it could likely be natural. SOO WHAT? You could say being eaten by a lion is natural, but I don't here people saying it's ok to pet them. Even if it is natural the earth could still change into a shitty place for, possibly, a long time.

One thing I don't understand is how global warming could start an ice age. I know that saltiness of the north pole's water is changing and the current that bring warm water to England and the rest of Europe. I also know that it would get much colder there, I've heard -20c in winter. But that is still warmer then at the poles and they're melting right now. I not sure how other ocean currents would be effected but it still seems like the agerage temp would go up.
Mind Unraveled

Postby intelegant » Mon May 29, 2006 2:56 am

forever?
intelegant

Postby Mind Unraveled » Fri Jun 02, 2006 4:39 am

....ummmm what?

heres a cool link with a bunch of interviews

I love pbs's science shows. Almost makes me feel guilty that I never give them money....... Not really.
Mind Unraveled

Next

Return to Resurrection