[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 488: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 488: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4762: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3897)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4764: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3897)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4765: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3897)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4766: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3897)
RTP Discussions • View topic - What Inspired The Play?

What Inspired The Play?

Discussion Area for the Play - "Resurrection"

Postby Pulsewidth » Tue Nov 08, 2005 8:00 pm

I believe there must be a soul, because if consciousness was purely a phenomema of the nervous system, why would I only have one? I don't experience from anyone else's brain. I don't believe in an afterlife, but reincarnation might be possible if there is "conservation of souls". The digital clones could be considered a new incarnation with the same memories/personality. If this is actually how it works, and souls prefer to reincarnate in their original brain (near death experiences could be considered evidence for this) then we should not turn on the digital copy until the original is dead, because it might attract the wrong soul and then the original soul might not attach to it. This also means turning off a computer complicated enough to attract a soul would be murder.
Pulsewidth

Please expand

Postby HarryStottle » Wed Nov 09, 2005 10:57 pm

HarryStottle
Site Admin

Re: It's still ain't ME

Postby HarryStottle » Wed Nov 09, 2005 11:09 pm

HarryStottle
Site Admin

Re: Please expand

Postby Pulsewidth » Thu Nov 10, 2005 9:38 am

Pulsewidth

Still not getting it...

Postby HarryStottle » Sat Nov 12, 2005 5:32 pm

HarryStottle
Site Admin

Re: It's still ain't ME

Postby HarryStottle » Sat Nov 12, 2005 5:50 pm

HarryStottle
Site Admin

Straining at a gnat?

Postby Judas Iscariot » Sun Nov 13, 2005 11:20 am

Judas Iscariot

I think I'm getting it now...

Postby SeeDubya » Mon Nov 14, 2005 1:07 am

SeeDubya

Postby Typhoon » Fri Dec 23, 2005 5:02 pm

Hello,
I'm new to your little forum, and wanted to add something to your discussion.
-If anything is unclear or simply wrong, in terms of language it is most certainly the cause of "the language barrier" (I'm german)

-If anything is unclear or wrong, in terms of logic or common sense, it is probably caused by my lack of intelligence. :D
(Is it allowed to use smileys in a philosophical/scientific discussion?)

Well, what are people afraid of, when they say they're afraid of "dying"?... I don't know!
But I know what I am afraid of, when I say that I'm afraid of dying:

The possibility, that all my thinking and my consciousness stop and not the fact, that my memories or my feeling "get lost"
Having a exact duplicate of my mind would actually carry on for me and do things that I was not able to achieve in my life and spread my ideals.

Isn't that what a child does?

I know that it would be more, and I know that it would behave exactly as I would, but it would not BE me.
My thinking and consciousness would stop the nanosecond my brain stops "working" and that is what I'm afraid of.

That said, I don't think it is impossible to reach omortality that way, but you would have to be able to, kind of link the brain to the artificial brain and slowly transfer the whole parts and functions one after another, while still being able to interact with the already transferred bits.
If or how it would be possible is beyond my understanding of that matter.

Well, I don't know if anyone will reply, cause the last post was a while ago, but I really hope so.

Typhoon

P.S.: I love the story, really...I love it. 8)
P.P.S: I just read through my post and saw that it sounds a little bit stupid.
Well, I've never been a good writer.
Typhoon

Postby xenio » Sat Dec 24, 2005 8:47 pm

After reading all your posts I came to a theory that the only way to preserve the real "ME" and be confident that such happened is what i called a switch effect.

Switch Effect meaning that during the copying process, however that gets accomplished, your digital brain is receiving more and more data that makes "ME" me. At some point , with my guess being around 99% complete, the orginal "ME" would become 'doubly aware'. Or the fact that you're conscious in two separate physical, digital, etc locations. I cannot explain this aspect in further detail because i think our human minds as they are now couldnt comprehend the relational structure that would allow us to figure out how that could actually exist.

I dunno what does everyone else think?
xenio

My thoughts on this..

Postby lefsef » Sun Dec 25, 2005 6:53 am

lefsef

Postby xenio » Sun Dec 25, 2005 4:30 pm

lefsef, that was pretty understandable and you made me think more. I realize that in terms of makin a copy and letting it live while your body dies will not be the same person due to the random nature of the universe/world/reality/etc. You can have all the same traits as the original but the best part of experience is the random nature. This random nature of our 'world' is part of the natural selection process that makes us all different and what lefsef might have meant. This led to my thoery of a doubly aware situation where both 'minds' are aware and the digital one is an extension of the biological one. Maybe when we figure out the last part of the human genome, it'll give us the extra pieces to the puzzle.
xenio

Postby Jaydude5 » Tue Dec 27, 2005 4:26 pm

Jaydude5

Postby Marticus » Tue Dec 27, 2005 9:27 pm

Marticus

Postby FuriousBroccoli » Wed Dec 28, 2005 1:25 am

FuriousBroccoli

PreviousNext

Return to Resurrection